Sunday, October 2, 2016

Long flight, short sleep

I am sitting in bed in a hotel apartment in the 13 floor of a building in Doha, Qatar. Less than 24 hours ago I was half a world away from here which is fairly mind blowing. I am deliriously tired and technology is not being my friend so this will be brief.

We took of from MSP at 4:00 Saturday afternoon. We arrived at the airport nice and early. Getting there was a challenge since that morning I did last minute runs to target, REI, and the bank. Additionally, Leif tried to get by cheap crappy digital watch a new battery to no avail. 


The first flight was not bad at all. A quick hop to Chicago. We spent a hilariously long time taxiing about after we landed. After a quick stop over, we boarded for Doha. And then the fun began. We were way in the back of the plane, which was a good thing because I think overall it was quieter. I was in the very last row so my seat only partially reclined, but fate made up for it because there was a free seat between me and the other person in the middle section of the plane, so we both took advantage of the extra space. About an hour into the flight we experienced crazy turbulence. Of course it was when they were trying to serve food. I think I lost a pound just by having sweaty palms the whole trip.

13 hours is a long flight. I watched a whole bunch of movies, sometimes just listening and wearing my eye mask and catching naps when they came to me. Fortunately the latest x-men movie is incredibly boring. Occasionally they gave us food. And finally we landed.


After making our way through immigration we headed into the city, dropped our bags at the hotel, and went to the souk. The market is giant and you can buy anything from tourist trinkets, to antiques, to pot and pans and flyswatters. And a battery for the nice but long time dead watch I had in my bag.


We did some eating and shopping and people watching.



We then headed down to the river and saw the old boats and the new buildings. And this giant pearl.


The whole world feels like I am on a ship or still on a plane experiencing light turbulence.  Off to sleep. Tomorrow, Nepal!









No comments:

Post a Comment